OK, people. We haven’t had an end of the week quiz for ages and Leavey has done his bit, as have many of you. I feel the ‘Spill is kind of going into a snooze; we are drifting into a “Uhhh… there’s nothing on the ‘Spill and the tumbleweed is drifting across and as much as we love Blimpy and Etc Etc “… maybe it’s the summer. Maybe I’ve had too much wine with my neighbour who is (ahem) very attractive and 20 years younger than me but … hey … sigh … it’s the World Cup and even that is Nil,Nil so he we go …
1) You are allowed one (ONE!) piece of music to take with you to a desert island where you have to stay for six months. What piece of music would you take?
2) What is your best moment, ever, ever, ever? You can include sex but please don’t be graphic. Some of us may be jealous.
3) Give us a song that lifts you up, up, UP!
4) What is you favourite season, and why? I am looking out at an indifferent sunset: personally I like October / Autumn because it’s warm but not too hot/cold; the Autumn colours are to die for and it’s a season of reflection / Mr Kipling cakes.
5) Give us a recipe. Nothing complicated, just something you throw together after the pub and without thinking about it. Anything from bacon and eggs / curry / comfort food / beans on toast. We’re not proud, just hungry.
6) What would you say if you had an invitation to stay in Yorkshire in a small house with a very strange woman and her son: with a good possibility of alcohol and sleeping on the floor (NB this does not commit you to anything).
Why oh why is it Y?
Well, I’m away for a couple of days and really don’t need to come back to a full inbox of astronomical levels – so we get a tough one… and a little earlier in the week.
It’ll be easier next time – I promise.
The game to illustrate either:
How wildly eclectic your taste is… or,
How perfectly streamlined it is.
Okay – so it’s Luke’s birthday HAPPY BIRTHDAY PANTHERSAN
I picked up my record player in a suitcase and headed to the wilds of Japan’s countryside (via China so they could make my record player) and I grabbed a few slabs of vinyl for a party game.
What connects the songs?
DON”T TYPE IN THE ANSWER – just say YEAH, I GOT IT – when you work it out.
and we’ll wait until the birthday boy knows what the link is.
happy happy joy joy – pin the tail on the panther GO:
Kool Thing Sonic Youth
Get It On Grinderman
Rebel Without A Pause Public Enemy
Miss Lucifer (Bone to Bone Alec Empire Remix) Primal Scream
Blondes With Lobotomy Eyes My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
TV All Greasy (feat. Anti-Pop Consortium) TOBACCO
Apollo Throwdown (Star Slinger Remix) The Go! Team
There seem to be a few wisps of tumbleweed on the ‘Spill lately, so maybe this will create some interest. There is also the possibility of a small prize, if you read on:
1. You have not decorated your living room for 15 years. You make a start, but are hampered by small child, attached to X-Box and assorted paraphernalia with umbilical cord. Do you:
(a) Decorate around him, leaving the middle of the room murky yellow while the rest is terracotta and coral flair?
(b) Call a computer geek to sever the cord and lead him howling to his bedroom?
(c) Give up and contact a painter and decorator (it’s only money)?
2. You have too many books and, to your horror, you discover Aubrey Beardsley next to “The Children of Green Knowe”. Do you:
(a) Donate all the books to Oxfam, no one ever reads them;
(b) Take all the books off the shelves, go through them, decide you can’t bear to lose them and put them back?
(c) Sit on the ladder with a cuppa and a biscuit, and start reading the Aubrey Beardsley?
3. Your son assures you he can play blu-ray discs so you buy “Life of Pi” as neither of you has seen it. He rips off the wrappers (so you can’t return it) and then tells you you’re stupid because he can’t play blu-ray. Do you:
(a) Take him back to the shop, abandon him there and buy yourself a blu-ray player / download relevant software?
(b) Flog it on E-Bay, if you can be arsed;
(c) Forget about it, you’re too engrossed in that book?
There you are – the prize is “Life of Pi” on blu-ray disc for the first person to tell me they want it. Otherwise it’s ‘Spill points as usual for the wittiest answers. Have fun.
I have posted a picture of my friend with a wombat for no particular reason, other than it is an example of how wombats can be very good friends. I have nothing interesting to say; I am slightly lost, slightly bored and slightly drunk. So here are some spill-it-all questions for you:
1. Cutlery drawer. I have asked this before, but it was a long time ago. How do you do yours? Knives, forks, spoons/ forks, knives, spoons? Spoons, knives, forks? You get the idea. And does it annoy you when someone buggers it up?
2. You have just eaten a nice piece of banana cake off what you now realize to be the cat’s dish. You have also spilled instant coffee on the work top in the kitchen. Do you:
(a) throw up; clean up the coffee and apologize to the cat?
(b) apply the 5 second rule, stop worrying and leave the coffee for the morning?
(c) take your mind off both by posting a spurious quiz on t’Spill?
3. You have given up work to look after your child / parent / wombat / aunty Flo. Do you embrace the opportunity or lament the demise of life as you know it?
4. What is the worst thing about getting out of bed in the morning?
5. What is the best thing about getting out of bed the morning?
Light-hearted answers requested and here is some music to jolly you along:
Apologies if I have pipped anyone to the EOTWQ, it’s not even the EOTW yet.
A quiz to keep you amused while we’re waiting for the new topic: and no, it’s nothing to do with insurance…that’s just the song. After the title there’s a series of 20 images each one representing a Tom Petty song. Your task is to identify all 20 of them! Some of them are very easy. Some of them are fiendishly hard. It’ll help if you’re a film/theatre/TV/radio buff; and oh yes – the answers are in alphabetical order, so that should help too. And googling is allowed.
While you’re puzzling over the images you will, of course, be able to enjoy the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers version of Jimmy Reed’s Take Out Some Insurance. Well, I hope you enjoy it anyway – this is the only version I’ve got of them doing the song and I think it’s just plain marvellous.
(I’ve had an earlier version of this video – I made it easier, folks! – up on YouTube overnight and it’s still there, so I’m hoping this one is safe and won’t get taken down. Famous last words? Possibly.)
…which is how I could have made last week’s crossword a bit trickier*. So stop moaning and groaning! Anyway, here are the named Captains, and the full solution is after the break. Congratulations to tfd once again for claiming to be the first to solve it……
Having found all the Grauniad quizzes and the crossword far too taxing this year, I have devised a little light hearted quiz to take my mind off having to go back to work tomorrow. I hope you are all having an enjoyable time, and are looking forward to the New Year in spite of the doom and gloom pervading the news. Please join in, if you’re in the mood for frivolous distraction. Apologies if we’ve had any of the questions before, but here we jolly well go:
1. Amazon recommends … what is the strangest combined offer you’ve had from Amazon (or anyone else) this year?Mine is “6 pairs mens thermal socks size 6-11; The Bed of Procrustes – Philosophical & Practical Aphorisms; Ben Ten Galactic Racing and Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diababte.”
2. Do you have a Christmas tree? If so, what is on the top? As you can see from the photo, we have the Bogeyman – handmade by a ghost of Christmas past. Can you top it?
3. What present are you struggling to be grateful for this year? And does it make you think the giver just doesn’t know you at all, or that they know you too well? Mine is a voluminous pair of ice-cream pink flannelette pyjamas with cats on – my efforts to project my image as a hard-driven career woman / cougar / middle-aged sex symbol have obviously failed, thus far. Perhaps I’d do better with Amazon.
4. What percentage of your Christmas cards includes a portrayal of an animal or bird of some kind? (Warning: this may involve standing up and using brain). Mine is 50%, including a turkey on the mast of a lifeboat. Go figure, Amazon!!
5. What did you have for Christmas dinner, and are you still eating it? In my case, Mr Munday brought us a shepherdless shepherd’s pie (green lentils) – I had some yesterday in a stew and today it’s soup … meanwhile the cat is sulking and out looking for shepherds.
6. Tell us an amusing anecdote about Christmas – any Christmas. Mine is probably the year my brother fell down my other brother’s stairs in the dark, playing hide and seek with us kids, circa 1973. He wasn’t badly hurt but had the pattern of his string vest etched into the bruise. And the banisters were wrecked. Probably our last true family Christmas, for some reason …
I was contemplating doing another Festive Crossword when Sakura’s recent post put the opening line from Ship Of Fools in my head. Several hours of head-scratching later, I came up with this. If it ain’t exactly a Festive Crossword, it’ll do until the real one gets here, to paraphrase Sherriff Ed Tom Bell in No Country For Old Men.
Hopefully, this grid is usable if you open it in a new window. If not, let me know and I’ll drop it somewhere.
Answers next week.
OOPS: There’s a mistake in 1 down! Due to my imperfect memory, the answer is missing an ‘N’ (so should be an 8-letter clue, not a 7-letter one).
Please follow my mistake and omit the ‘N’. The clue doesn’t work otherwise. (A mistake in 1 down? Bloody amateur! – Ed.)
Oh, and tfd points out, quite correctly, that 27 across is (3,3), not (6)!
Can’t be bothered to write the tags & we haven’t had a quiz in while. ‘Spill points for 1st to name the artiste (don’t worry, threw in some easy ones). Originally wasn’t fond of this Holiday, as it seemed to dilute the trad. UK Krimble blow-out. Have come to appreciate it as the one Holiday that all Americans can enjoy & share. Happy Thanksgiving.
1 Candy? Collard greens? What’s your favourite food beginning with a C?
2 Alarming news: the Cliff Richard 2012 calendar is already selling fast. What calendar would YOU like for next year? (NB does not have to begin with C.)
3 The nights are drawing in (if you’re in the same hemisphere as me) and soon the clocks will be going back. What do you like about this? What do you NOT like? (And do you own a clock that needs to be put back manually?)
4 I’ve been to my last conference (probably). What’s the best conference you’ve ever been to? What would be your ideal one?
5 Rumour has it that shops are already putting Christmas merchandise on display. Have you seen any yet? (Have you bought any?)
It’s alright for most of you, but Summer here means crap telly, just when you want to huddle around the A/C. Glimmer of hope in that season 4 of Breaking Bad will be out soon. For those not familiar, it’s the story of Walter White; An underachieving 50 year old chemistry teacher, with an unplanned baby on the way, holding down two jobs to make ends meet & then he’s diagnosed with lung cancer & given two years left to live. Walter decides to stop playing by the rules. Assisted by his likable, but not too bright, ex-student, Jesse; Walter decides to get into the Albuquerque, New Mexico crystal meth market to provide for his family. Things do not go smoothly.
Brilliantly written & photographed with tremendous performances from a great cast. Best TV since The Wire, I reckon (as long as you take your comedy black & played straight). It also has great tunes. Here are some of them. Why not make it a quiz? I’ll give you the titles – ‘Spill pints for the artists:
1. Breaking Bad Theme
2. Out Of Time Man
3. Rocket Scientist
4. Waiting Around To Die
7. The Hand Clap
8. They’re Going To Take My Thumbs
10. Any Way The Wind Blows
11. You’re Movin’ Me
12. Electricity In My Bones
13. Koop Island Blues
15. Shimmy Shimmy Ya
16. Negro Y Azul (The Ballad Of Heisenberg)