After a discussion last week with Aba, Maki and leaveitallbehind about ways of welcoming new members to the RR community, I put together this EOTWQ as an icebreaker, so to speak. So everyone, from the most regular of regulars to the newest of newcomers, please join in and take the quiz! Usual rules apply, 6 questions, my answers are at the bottom of this post and feel free not to answer one if you don’t want to!
1. Where are you from and where are you now?
2. Is there a story behind your RR username?
3. What genres/artists do you like the most?
4. Do you play music?
5. What’s your current favourite album?
6. The Guardian Music Blog started a thing called “6 songs of me” a few months ago, where you pick the six songs that most define you. Whether or not you did it on the Guardian, what six songs would you choose?
…and my answers:
1. I was born in Eastbourne, East Sussex, UK. I live in Limerick, RoI.
2. Yes. I started a Youtube account specifically to reply to a comment on the video for ‘It’s Not Me, It’s You’ by Hearts Under Fire that called vocalist/bassist Mary-Claire O’Reagan a “fat, ugly bitch”. I’m Irish, I like punk, I was angry, so it made sense. When I was making my Guardian online account (actually originally for the Books Blog) it was the first thing that came to mind. It actually works for RR, in that I’m perpetually angry at the lack of Irish punk in existence!
3. Punk, proper emo, basically pretty much anything under the umbrella of ‘post-hardcore’. I also like folk-rock. Favourite artists include Rise Against, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, Make Do And Mend, The Wonder Years, The Gaslight Anthem, Frank Turner, Brand New, Hearts Under Fire, Evarose, Straylight Run, Touché Amoré, paramore, the Dropkick Murphys, the King Blues… I’ll shut up now…
4. Yes, I play the guitar and the bass and can just about play the piano and various percussion instruments. I also sing.
5. Oooooh! Toughie! Infinity on High by Fall Out Boy and The ’59 Sound by The Gaslight Anthem, closely followed by Long Live the Struggle by The King Blues.
6. Brand New – OK, I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don’t
Of Monsters and Men – Little Talks
Fall Out Boy – Bang the Doldrums
The Gaslight Anthem – Old White Lincoln
The Dropkick Murphys – Going Out In Style
OK, your turn!
UPDATE: As EOTWQs tend to have just 5 questions and consensus is the 6th question deserves a post of its own, feel free to ignore it! I’ll do a post on it next week when RR is done but before the results are out to enliven things!