Last minute change of plan here. I was going to offer up 11 “old time” songs ( really, really “old time” in some cases) but on reflection I think that would be too much of a chore for many folks to listen to.
So, instead, I’ve gone for a selection of some of my favourite 1960s tunes. So no oriental stuff, no punk, no weirdoes just good, old fashioned “pop” music.
I was a bit young to appreciate them first time around , a few tunes stick in the memory from those days ( not always good ones !) but on the whole they are later discoveries.
You know the rules, one has to go…but which one….
So, what we have is
1. Kaleidoscope- Egyptian gardens ( S.F. Ethno-psych of the highest quality)
2. The Sunrays – I live for the sun ( weird surf)
3. Sagittarius- Song to the magic frog (will you ever) ( Amphibian friendly and just gorgeous)
4. The Beau Brummels – Just a little ( Beatley/Byrdisian)
5. 13th Floor Elevators – Dust ( Reflective mood of acid heroes)
6. West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band- Here’s where you belong ( Zingy !)
7. The Velvet Underground- She’s my best friend ( Touching and rather un-Velvety in sound, yet it’s still them !).
8. Marianne Faithful- Is this what I get for loving you , baby ? ( Betrayal song of Spectoresque grandure)
9. The Temptations – Psychedelic Shack ( Directions included, leave reality behind)
10. Hank Locklin – We’re gonna go fishin’ ( Recent discovery for me, delightfully stupid in execution)
11. Clyde McPhatter – Love please ( Glorious sax lead romp).