Slight change in the technology due to my luddite mindset, same Spill Game – it’s just split into 2 sections. Eleven tracks, you have to decide which one you’d get rid of one…but only one.
It’s probably easiest to leave comments in the second section once you’ve listened to all of the tracks..if you listen to all of them…
No specific genre this week , although there might, possibly , be more than one punk track. There’s no specific theme either , unless you count “Songs I really like that I haven’t nominated repeatedly on RR”
There is a special bonus challenge though: which of these songs does Mrs wyngatecarpenter say sounds like the Mighty Boosh* doing an 80s song? – answer tomorrow.
*Mighty Boosh – surreal TV comedy duo who do send ups of different musical styles.
1) The Restarts – Wouldn’t Wanna – Might as well start as you’d expect me to!
2) Peter & The Test Tube Babies – Louise Wouldn’t Like It – Again you might expect them on the list, but this isn’t typical, at least musically. But is it sexist? Or just an observation on a very familiar situation?
3) Simple Minds – Today I Died Again – Reminds me of wearing long coats and hanging around near the Berlin Wall looking moody. I’ve never done that, but that’s what it reminds me of. Strange.
No enormodome full of people waving lighters anywhere in sight at this point in their career.
4) Gun Club – Brother & Sister – Even moodier, and a bit desperate sounding, but more melodic. The lyrics are a bit mysterious but the title tells you all you need to, but probably don’t want to, know about the song
5) Ellery Bop – We Deny – I don’t know that much about these, but they were a lesser known part of Liverpool’s famous post punk scene. This is from 1983 and it sounds like it! They supported Killing Joke on tour in 85, then disappeared (possibly to have nervous breakdowns if the tales of other Joke support acts experiences are anything to go by)