And the winner is….
The Spill Community, I reckon. Tons of music, plenty of enthusiasm, lots of discussion and no falling out. Here are the (updated) statistics.
Over the 30 days:
- 43 Spillers have posted
- 3,581 comments
- nominating 959 different songs
- from 714 different artists.
- 19 Spillers posted every day and
- 2 of those – debbym and May1366 – chose 30 different artists.
The most significant artists – for good and ill – were:
- The Beatles, picked 15 times, by 14 different people
- Tom Petty, with and without the Heartbreakers, picked 15 times, all by tfd
- Bob Dylan, picked 14 times, by 10 different people
- Grateful Dead, picked 14 times, by 4 different people (but 11 times by me)
- Pink Floyd, picked 8 times, by 6 different people
- Rolling Stones, picked 8 times, by 5 different people
- Velvet Underground, picked 8 times, by 5 different people
- Belle & Sebastian, picked 6 times, by 5 different people
- The Cure, picked 6 times, by 4 different people
- The Smiths, picked 6 times, by 4 different people
The spreadsheet containing all this data in a handy, sortable form is in the RR box. So, with thanks to tinny for setting it all up, and to you for making it such a pleasure, that’s a wrap.
Notes for pedants:
- The 958 songs exclude a complete duplicate of song and artist but include a small number of different artists’ versions of the same song (e.g. Shiny Happy People by REM and by The Fatima Mansions.)
- The 713 artists use the names provided. ‘Tom Petty’ and ‘Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ are counted as two artists.
- All numbers are subject to my ability, or otherwise, to copy, paste, create Excel formulae, add and subtract. Oh, and find the occasional needle in a haystack.