Seems that recently all I’ve been doing is Earworms and techie show off posts! I thought it was about time I actually did one of my own and seeing as no-one else has bagsied EOTWQ, I thought I’d start there. I’ve got a couple of Spanish music ones in the pipeline (a demo put together by a few lads Mrs Maki works with and a more heartfelt Flamenco one but I’m finding it hard to get them just right).
So anyway, here we go:
When I was a nipper my parents had a jack russel. I got into the habit of sitting down on the floor and tugging its ears. My mum was forever telling me not to do it. “He’ll bite you, you know” She would warn me. Did I take any notice? ‘Course not. Anyway one day he retaliated and I lost a very small part of the end of my nose!
1. Have you ever willfully ignored a warning only to find out the hard way that you should have paid heed?
My parents spent a fortune on French classes for me. I wasn’t very good at it and wasn’t very interested either. When I was ten we went on holiday to Brittany and I remember being sent (against my will) to buy the bread one morning. I somehow managed to make the lady in the shop understand me and returned triumphant to the campsite with a couple of baguettes. That episode is no doubt the catalyst that led to my interest in languages and very indirectly, to my living outside the UK.
2. When was the first time you said something in a foreign language and were understood by the person you were speaking to?
I had a teddy bear when I was a baby. I’m now 48 and I still have it.
3. What treasured possession, if any, do you still have from your early childhood?
In my early twenties I lived in Tarragona on the Mediterranean coast. These were wild times. On the way home one night and severely under the influence, I might add, I managed to fall 40 feet off a railway bridge! I escaped with a broken wrist and a few (deep) grazes.
4. What has been your closest shave and / or luckiest escape?
Straight in with this one.
5. What musical event are you most looking forward to or hoping for this year?