I was so engrossed in the debate on the power of words that took place over on the Mothership at the weekend that I haven’t had time (until now) to put up the weekly playlist. I’m sure you’ve all been sitting around, twiddling your thumbs, wondering when I would get round to it so you’ll be pleased to see that the wait is finally over…
Ten songs, some of which I recommended on RR, others that I’ve thought of since. Some fit the theme very well, others are tangenital at best. Some you’ll know, others may be new to you. Some will make you smile, others will no doubt produce the classic ‘meh’ reaction. All are, in my opinion, wonderful songs which deserve an airing.
Here’s the full tracklisting:
1. What’s The Matter Here? – 10,000 Maniacs
2. 40 Days And 40 Fights – Badly Drawn Boy
3. Just Give ‘Em Whiskey – Colourbox
4. Violence, Easter And Christmas – Gangway
5. Sleep Well Tonight – Gene
6. I Predict A Riot – The Kaiser Chiefs
7. Little Hitler – Everything But The Girl
8. Violence – The Pet Shop Boys
9. The Police Will Never Find You – Gene
10. Riot Van – The Arctic Monkeys
The debate on RR threw up some fascinating ideas and it’s clear from most of the posts that we are, in the main, a peace loving bunch. But I’m sure that most of us would also agree that some things are worth fighting for. So what would make you fight the good fight and when (if ever) is violence justified?
PS. For the benefit of gremlinfc, sourpus and others who may be interested, I’ve posted a step-by-step guide to creating a Podbean playlist – it’s in the comments on shoegazer’s Festive ‘Spill Update post.